Sunday, February 19, 2012

CJ(8): Well Beloved Friend 1675

Henry Benson (BE-1) continues the record of our Cadwallader Jones (JO-1) on February 5, 1674(actually 1675), when he files a document appointing Cadwallader as his "...attorney...". The document reads:

"Know All Men by these presents that I Henry Benson(BE-1) of the County of Rappa doe hereby appoint my well beloved Friend Mr. Cadwallader Jones(JO-1) my true and lawfull attorney for me and in my name and stead to aske require and demand of Hugh Williams(WI-1) to Reacknowledge a parcell of land that I the said BENSON(BE-1) on the 20th of December last 1674 did acknowledge in Court unto him & his heirs forever wth all rights and priviledges thereunto ratyfing and confirming wt my said Attorney shall doe in the premises in as ample manner as though I myself were personally present. As Witness my hand and Seale the 2 of February 1674/5 in presence of JOHN MOTT.(MO-1)

John Dawson(DA-1) Henry Benson(BE-1)

Recordater x5 die February 1674"

From: Old Rappahannock County Deeds & Wills 1672-1676, Part II, p. 52.

This record identifies Cadwallader as "...my well beloved Friend...my true and lawful attorney...".
This would suggest that Cadwallader was not related to Benson as family. He was appoint to act as Benson's attorney regarding land exchange between Benson and Hugh Williams(WI-1). The Williams surname becomes important as an associated family name, but that is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment