Wednesday, September 24, 2014

CJ (#38) A Second Letter 1687

William Fitzhugh (FI-1) continues his correspondence regarding the accounts of our Cadwallader Jones (JO-1).  While Cadwallader (JO-1) was trying to figure out how to get out of the mess he had found himself involved, Fitzhugh (FI-1) was about his lawyer business.  A letter dated "March 14th. 1686/7" to the "Honourable Nicholas Spencer" (SPE-1) reads:

"Honoured Sir

        As I writ in my last my thoughts of Collo. Jones (JO-1) his Departure, I find since absolutely true but whiter I can't yet learn, but I imagine (by some Discourse he let fall at my house) it is for England, to get himself into his Majesty's Army, & since his flight, his wife, (to whom its presumed he communicated his thoughts) has carry'd out of this County all his Estate, this is, all his Negroes, for stock of Cattle, hogs or horses he had none in our County, & has them now with her at Rappak.  Therefore there is the place to attack them in.  My remoteness from their Judicial Place, & unacquaintedness with their Ministerial Officers, might I fear indanger & a miscarriage of the whole proceedings, therefore, I have yet stop'd taking out an Attachment, for fear of alarming them, till I had first advised wt. your Honour, for which I have sent this Messenger on purpose, to inform of the circumstances, also to propose that an Attachment might come immediately from my Lord, (propter Excellantiam &c ) Directed to the Sheriff of Rappahannock..."

Well it would seem that our Cadwallader Jones (JO-1) had left comments that lead Fizhugh (FI-1) to concluded that Cadwallader was off to join "his Majesty's Army".  Fizhugh reports that Cadwallader had left the area "absolutely true", and had managed to remove his estate via his wife to (Old) Rappahannock Co.  More to come...!

The letters are recorded in "Letters of William Fitzhugh" pp. 212 -213 as listed in my last post.

No comments:

Post a Comment