It was strategically important that a food supply be established for the early settlers along Rappahannock River. [Wal-Mart not invented yet!] Cattle seemed to be one major source. Almost every planter, even the poorest, was possessed of cattle. According to Wertebaker in his book titled "The Planter of Colonial Virginia, in 1649 there were more than twenty thousand cattle "...of Kine, Oxen, Bulls, Claves...". He states that within the next 15 years, this had increased to more than 100,000! Meat for the table indeed. Milk, butter, and cheese would add to the diet.
To keep all these animals identified [and the owners happy], each planter registered a "eare marke" in his local courthouse. Around January 1674, Cadwallader Jones (JO-1) registered his mark:
"The Eare marke of Mr. Cadwalader Jones (JO-1) is two cropps & an over keele on the right eare and an under keeele on the left".
So, after establishing his plantation along Peumansend Creek, he registered his "brand" for his cattle.
Document found: (Old) Rappahannock Co. Deed Book 1672 - 1676, p. 166. It is found in the copy recorded by Ruth and Sam Sparacio, p. 86.
Wertenbaker, T.J., The Planters of Colonial Virginia, Princeton University Press, London, 1922. p. 101