Monday, September 12, 2016

CJ (#58) An Answer 1692 (1)

The following is a copy [as best as I can read it.] of the letter sent to "Providence" from Phillip Ludwell (LU-1).  It is dated October 17th, 1692 and sent from "South Caroline".

"These, For Gilbert Ashley (AS-1), Bowen Clasen (CLA-1), and Thomas Bulkley (BUL-1) Esqs ; Or to any one of them, at Providence.

Masters,
 Had I had any oppertunity, I had long ere this returned you an Answer to yours of the 16th of July, received from Mr. Clark : I am very sorry both for the Lords, and your own sakes, to find such great Discord between you and your Governour; and should be extreamly glad if I could contribute any thing to a Reconciliation.

In order to which, I would very willingly have taken a Journey to you if my Assiments would have permitted and, having so Rasicnal Persons as I have reason to believe you have among you to treat withal should not have dispaired of a good Effect.

I have considered the the contents of your Letter, which tho in some part a Stranger, may seem something too Passionate; yet I fear in general there is too much reason to believe the Complaints are not wholy without cause.

I have known your Governour several years, and altho perhaps he may be something a stranger to those Polliticks, which are requisite for the Well and Peaceable Ordering of a Government; yet he being of a generous and good Name (which he has always past for) I think it a little Strange that he should be so utterly Uncouncalable, by those of more acquaintance with the place, and joyed in power with him.

At the same time I received yours, I received a Letter also from him, near the same date, with complaints on his side; but neither he, nor you, gave me the particulars of eithers Grievances.  I have discoursed with Dr. Clark, who I believe has given me what Light he can, which yet cannot lead me to find out clearly where the Shooe pincheth, but by what I guess if it were possible for me to come to you, with any manner of Security to their Lordships Affairs here at this present, I should not much doubt to settle all to your satisfaction; but the trouble I have met with here, will not yet admit my least absence.  I'le asure you my desires are great to it, but since I cannot do as I would, if your please to follow my Advice, I am in hopes by Gods Assistance, may do you some Service." [more to come]

The length of this letter leads me to give it in two parts.  It has been difficult to make out all the words, and the use of "f" for the letter "s" was in the original letter.


No comments:

Post a Comment