Friday, April 6, 2012

CJ(9) : Second Time Around

After Bacon's rebellion had been experienced, the folks seem to need to repeat their legal claims to the land. Henry Benson (BE-1) refiled his transfer of land to Charles Taliaferro (TA-5). These can be found on page 90, (Old) Rappahannock County, Virginia Deed & Will Abstracts 1677-1682 (I), by Ruth & Sam Sparacio. They were recorded in the year 1678, and read the same except for the recognition of Cadwallader Jones (JO-1) as the "...true & lawfull Attorney..." of Benson. It reads:

"Know All Men by these presents that I Henry Benson (BE-1) of ye County of Rappae: doe constitute & appoint my well beloved Friend, Lieut:Coll. Cad: Jones (JO-1), my true & lawfull Attorney for me & in my name & stead to acknowledge at ye next Court held for this County or after at any time or at James Towne if soe required a Deed of Gift unto Charles Taliaferro (TA-5) bearing date wth these prsents, hereby confirming what my said Attorney shall doe in ye prmises in as full manner as if I my selfe were prsent as Witness my hand & seale this 26th of April 1676.

Signed Sealed in ye prsence of us
David Jones (JO-2) Fran: Taliaferro (TA-3) Henry Benson (BE-1)
Jno: Taliaferro (TA-4)
Recordair xx7 die Martii 1678 "

It would appear that by April of 1676, Cadwallader Jones (JO-1) had been appointed a part of the military establishment of Rappahannock Co. He is listed in this document as "Lieut:Coll.Cad:Jones".(JO-1). He would have been roughly around 25 - 30 years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment